Category Archives: Covered Bridges

Culbertson Bridge Union County Ohio


Culbertson Covered Bridge was built in 1872-1873 by Reuben L. Partridge at a cost of $1,375, using his “Partridge Block” truss design. This bridge was originally constructed across Treacle’s Creek on State Route 4, south of Milford Center. In 1921, the bridge was replaced, but the wooden superstructure was saved for reuse for a new bridge on Winget Road. The bridge was put into place in 1922 on abutments built by Reed & Snyder. In 1988, Union County employees rehabilitated the bridge by installing wood girders inside the wood trusses and suspended the floor from the girders. The Partridge trusses currently carry only the weight of the original bridge. The steel piers under the bridge are not original.

Bigelow Bridge Union County Ohio

Bigelow Bridge (regionally known as Axe Handle Road Bridge) is one of six historic covered bridges in Union County, Ohio. It crosses over the Little Darby Creek, at 40°06′58″N 83°25′30″WCoordinates: 40°06′58″N 83°25′30″W, on Axe Handle Road, just north of Ohio State Route 161 between Irwin and Chuckery. The wooden bridge was built in 1873 by Reuben Partridge, and named for Eliphas Bigelow, a nearby resident. It was refurbished in 1990, and repainted in July 2008.